GDPR Privacy Notice
This notice explains what information we collect, when we collect it and how we use this. During the course of our activities, we will process personal data (which may be held on paper, electronically, or otherwise) about you and we recognise the need to treat it in an appropriate and lawful manner. The purpose of this notice is to make you aware of how we will handle your information.
Who we are?
Big Street Lettings at 132-134 Great Ancoats St, Manchester, M4 6DE. We take the issue of security and data protection very seriously and strictly adhere to guidelines published in the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 which is applicable from the 25th May 2018, together with any domestic laws subsequently enacted.
We are notified as a Data Controller and the data controller of any personal data that you provide to us through different communication platforms for example; Telephone, through property portals such as Rightmove.co.uk, our website or any other web portals, text messages, messaging services, post, email, mobile phone, in person and via third party platforms.
Any questions relating to this notice and our privacy practices should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
How we collect information from you and what information we collect
We collect information about you:
• From your initial interest when you enquire to reserve the prospective accommodation (if applicable)
• Via above sources (where applicable)
We collect the following information about you:
• Prospective tenants and/or guarantor names, email address, date of birth, address (including any previous addresses, relationship other prospective tenants, employment status, name of university or college where you are studying (if applicable);
• Tenant name, email address, telephone number, Date of Birth, address (including any previous addresses), marital status, National Insurance Number, next of kin, certificate of birth and/ or passport and/ or BRP for right to rent check purposes, driver license for address proof, name of university or college where you are studying, previous landlord/ managing agent details, university acceptance letter, student id card, name of tutor/ HOD, the name of friends that you are staying with (if applicable);
• Guarantor name, e-mail address, telephone number, Date of Birth, address (including any previous addresses), marital status, National Insurance Number, passport and/ or: driver license, council tax, utility bill for photo and address proof, next of kin (if applicable);
• Property address; term, rent, deposit, utility and service responsibilities;
• The employment status of tenants and/or guarantors, address, contact details (including email, phone and fax numbers) of the employer/accountant, payroll numbers, length of employment, salary information (including any regular overtime or commission), and any other income received;
• Bank account details of the tenant and prospective tenants, including bank or building society name, account number and sort code (if applicable);
• Any welfare benefits that you may be eligible for, or are currently on.
Why we need this information about you and how it will be used?
We need your information and will use your information: (where applicable)
• to undertake and perform our obligations and duties to you in accordance with the terms of our contract with you;
• to enable us to supply you with the services and information which you have requested;
• to help you to create your tenancy;
• to carry out due diligence on any prospective tenant and/or guarantor, including whether there is any money judgements against them, or any history of bankruptcy or insolvency;
• to analyse the information, we collect so that we can administer, support and improve and develop our business and the services we offer;
• to contact you in order to send you details of any changes to respective property landlords and/ or managing person/ agent, suppliers which may affect you; and
• for all other purposes consistent with the proper performance of our operations and business.
Sharing of Your Information
We may share this information with respective property landlords and/ or managing person/ agent/ suppliers under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases. The information you provide to us will be treated by us as confidential within the UK and/ or EEA.
We may disclose your information to other third parties who act for us and/ or respective property landlords, managing person, agent, suppliers (where applicable) for the purposes set out in this notice or for purposes approved by you, including the following:
• If we enter into a joint venture with or merge with a business entity, your information may be disclosed to our new business partners or owners;
• To carry out due diligence on you as a prospective tenant/ guarantor, including but not limited to the carrying out of affordability checks, due diligence checks and the obtaining of references from relevant parties, whose data you have provided;
• If you request so, your information shall be disclosed in order to determine if there are any money judgements against you, as the prospective tenant/guarantor, or to determine if they have a history of bankruptcy or insolvency;
• If you are unable to make payments under your tenancy, your information may be disclosed to any relevant party assisting in the recovery of this debt or the tracing of you as a tenant; and
• In the creation, renewal or termination of the tenancy, your information will be disclosed to the relevant local authority, property landlord, managing person, agent, tenancy deposit scheme administrator, service/utility provider, freeholder, factor, facilities manager or any other relevant person or organisation in connection with this.
Unless required to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
Security and how long we will keep your information
When you give us information, we take steps to make sure that your personal information is kept secure and safe. The information that you provide will be securely stored on our systems.
We review our data retention periods regularly and will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as required by law (we may be legally required to hold some types of information), or as set out in any relevant contract we may have with you.
We may keep your information for as long as you are our service user. Where a transaction has been entered into and there is a contractual reason, or where we must comply with legal obligations (e.g. Money Laundering Regulations, The Property Ombudsman Code of Practice)
You have the right at any time to:
• ask for a copy of the information about you held by us in our records; we may need the proof of identity prior to processing your request;
• require us to correct any inaccuracies in your information;
• make a request to us to delete what personal data of yours we hold; and
• object to receiving any marketing communications from us.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights above, please contact us at email@example.com
Should you wish to complain about the use of your information, we would ask that you contact us to resolve this matter in the first instance. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office in relation to our use of your information by writing to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Time is life. Wasting time is wasting one’s life.